Thursday, February 18, 2010

I AM BEING CYBER-STALKED!

For several months now, I have been a victim of cyberstalking/cyber-bullying. At first, I was enraged and fear crept in. Who on earth could have posted such libelous and rude advertisement against me trying to tarnish my reputation as a real estate broker? The post was first made at sulit.com notifying the public that I am no longer connected with Elohim Realty Services
(which I am the owner) and that any transaction with me will not be honored by said office. It says in the ad that I am fraud. How I was able to know? The cyberstalker himself e-mailed me the link and named a certain person as one responsible in posting such ad. I reported it to the police. Out of ignorance, too, I responded to the post made and e-mailed back the stalker. Result? He posted similar ads in other sites and wrote blogs against me (well, according to his e-mail). I never dared to check it out so as not to satisfy his obsession of catching my attention and bully me further. To avoid any further communication with the cyberstalker, I ceased from opening my spam folder and I also blocked him from my facebook account and warned my friends not to include him as friend.


I consulted a lawyer-friend of mine to ask legal counsel. She advised me to just IGNORE it and instead put in my websites that I am the owner of Elohim Realty Services and write blogs to counter the libelous postings in several commercial websites. She suspected that he/she could be a competitor in the business. Well, only God knows. I also consulted our pastor and he advised me to just DO NOTHING about it but to PRAY and BLESS the cyberstalker. I followed both counsel and truly indeed, it gave me inner peace and was never bothered by it anymore. I continued to perform my business in the most professional way I can and to sincerely help my clients in their real estate needs. I am thankful that referrals continue to come from satisfied clients.

Just lately, a foreigner-buyer came to my home-office to inquire some properties and he mentioned that he saw a video ad about me in the You Tube. He was kind enough to give me the link and advised me to report it to the site administration, which I did. Well, I was no longer surprised, though. The cyberstalker has continued his evil deeds. He posted that I am a fraud and dangerous agent. This led me to research about cyberstalking and cyber-bullying and if there is any specific legal provisions in our Philippine law to prosecute the offenders. Sad to note, there is still none, unlike in the US and Canada.

What is Cyberstalking vs. Cyber-bullying?

According to my research, Cyberbullying "involves the use of information and communication technologies to support deliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior by an individual or group, that is intended to harm others. -Bill Belsey"

StopCyberbullying.org, an expert organization dedicated to internet safety, security and privacy, defines cyberbullying as: "a situation when a child, tween or teen is repeatedly 'tormented, threatened, harassed, humiliated, embarrassed or otherwise targeted' by another child or teenager using text messaging, email, instant messaging or any other type of digital technology."

Further, the practice of cyberbullying is not limited to children and, while the behavior is identified by the same definition in adults, the distinction in age groups is referred to as cyberstalking or cyberharassment when perpetrated by adults toward adults. Common tactics used by cyberstalkers are to vandalize a search engine or encyclopedia, to threaten a victim's earnings, employment, reputation, or safety. A repeated pattern of such actions against a target by an adult constitutes cyberstalking.

Harmful effects

Research had demonstrated a number of serious consequences of cyber-bullying victimization. For example, victims have lower self-esteem, increased suicidal ideation, and a variety of emotional responses, cyberbullying back, being scared, frustrated, angry, and depressed.

One of the most damaging effects is that a victim begins to avoid friends and activities, often the very intention of the cyber-bully.

Cyber-bullying campaigns are sometimes so damaging that victims have committed suicide. There are at least four examples in the United States where cyber-bullying has been linked to the suicide of a teenager. The suicide of Megan Meier is a recent example that led to the conviction of the adult perpetrator of the attacks.

Intimidation, emotional damage, suicide

The reluctance youth have in telling an authority figure about instances of cyber-bullying has led to fatal outcomes. At least three children between the ages of 12 and 13 have committed suicide due depression brought on by cyber-bullying, according to reports by USA Today and the Baltimore Examiner. These would include the suicide of Ryan Halligan and the suicide of Megan Meier, the latter of which resulted in United States v. Lori Drew.

Lost revenue, threatened earnings, defamation

Studies are being conducted by large companies to gauge loss of revenue through malicious false postings. Cyberstalkers seek to damage their victim's earnings, employment, reputation, or safety. A 2008 High Court ruling determined that, generally speaking, slander is when a defamatory statement has been made orally without justification. Libelous statements are those that are recorded with some degree of permanence. This would include statements made by email or on online bulletin boards.

Recognition of adult and workplace cyber-bullying tactics

Common tactics used by cyberstalkers is to vandalize a search engine or encyclopedia, to threaten a victim's earnings, employment, reputation, or safety. Various companies provide cases of cyber-stalking (involving adults) follow the pattern of repeated actions against a target. While motives vary, whether romantic, a business conflict of interest, or personal dislike, the target is commonly someone whose life the stalker sees or senses elements lacking in his or her own life. Web-based products or services leveraged against cyberstalkers in the harassment or defamation of their victims.

The source of the defamation seems to come from four types of online information purveyors: Weblogs, industry forums or boards, and commercial Web sites. Studies reveal that while some motives are personal dislike, there is often direct economic motivation by the cyberstalker, including conflict of interest, and investigations reveal the responsible party is an an affiliate or supplier of a competitor, or the competitor itself.

To my cyberstalker, this is all I can say, in due time, "what you sow you shall reap."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reference:
The wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber-bully…


No comments:

Post a Comment